A lovely article about the library appears in Library Journal.
I can’t sleep at night.
I keep getting asked what I’m doing at Wall Street. I’ll tell you why I’m at Wall Street as succinctly as possible. My reasons change, but at 4:37 this morning, here’s why
(Betsy’s personal top 10 + 1)
- because decent childcare costs more than I could earn working full time
- because my parents are trying to get by on Social Security
- because my public library keeps having service cuts and has to perpetually fund-raise to keep doors open
- because of the state of public education
- because of how long it will take me to pay off my student loan debt
- because of the state of the health care system
- because of the death penalty
- because of war without end
- because of climate reality
- because of gender inequality
- because of violence, abuse and neglect in its myriad forms
I don’t sleep at night, but I dream another world is possible.
And so it is.
the library now has a blog!
If you can’t make it down to Liberty Plaza in person, you can stop by virtually: http://peopleslibrary.wordpress.com/